Monday, November 2, 2009

Vampira riseth, NOT

I was hoping that one good thing would have come from the death of Maila Nurmi "Vampira" that more footage from her show would surface. I figured that if any material existed people would be reluctant to release it during her lifetime because of the legal hoops to get through. I guess the absence of any new footage means no one has any more footage.

There is one other possibility though. Imagine if you did have footage, you might think of it as some sort of sex magic to be bottled up and only released to the few and not the masses. You would feel special. You might even believe that Vampira is your show or your generation. That is to say you don't think todays person would appreciate a live 1950's show.

I did encounter a lot of greed surrounding what little footage exists of her. I really found it amazing how some people would say they OWN her show. The show was broadcast over so called public airwaves don't the people own her show? Oh that's right TV is dead now. This is the cable generation. Still though a few minutes?

After i found her footage I predicted people were going to try and stretch that footage till it snapped like an overextended elastic. I found a dvd being sold on a website doing just that. He had the intro and outro and the film she hosted for the KABC sales promotion is public domain. So he tried to reconstruct what was lost. Is that her show though? Doesn't that cheapen it? Why wasn't it released when she was alive? How come she had no money for a funeral?

Lot of shady characters surrounding Vampira. It's pretty amazing to considering she didn't exactly have a long film career. Most humans never even seen her show. You have to wonder if there's more to this story. I've heard everything from a film maker taking the footage to Elvira snatching it up. I have to believe KABC might have aired around the time of Elvira if they had it. Until the Misfits wrote a song about Vampira, how many people since 1955 even mentioned her name?

until someone shows me ashes I think someone has footage they aren't sharing.

No comments: