Monday, December 10, 2012

You've got something to look forward to when...

You can add about 10-12 inches of compost to a 15'x20' garden bed. I watched the new bed struggle last year and although wireworms certainly inhibited growth the main factor I think was a lack of organic matter. I think with an over abundance of organic matter the wire worms would have been more spread out and the potatoes more prolific. Just the same no praties will find their way into that bed next year. 

The key to gardening is rotation. Last year it was my other big bed that got the compost treatment. The year before that a smaller bed. I'm trying to develop several beds at once and I'm over emphasizing compost. Whilst doing that I am also getting in the habit of rotating crops. 

After the praties were gone I started the healing by introducing legumes in the form of peas and beans. They didn't quite do what I wanted them to do but I'm quite sure as I let them hang out to die they introduced nitrogen to the soil. 

Now the bed has 10-12 inches of compost a top it to insulate and fertilize and be ready early in the spring. At least 2 months of rotting will take place. I'll cover the area with weedguard to inhibit the early weeds and to further insulate the soil. Not sure what I will introduce to this bed first. I may build a green house over it to extend the growing season. 

Most people do not realize how much more production they'd get out of their garden by adding a simple high tunnel. Combined with some weedguard or other breathable mulch the soil will rapidly develop into rich garden loam. It will be easy to work and full of organic matter as the rate of use increases. Minus storms like Sandy a cold high tunnel will easily add 2 months to the growing season. So instead of waiting till mid March or even April 1st some years to plant peas you are starting them in mid February or even earlier some years and picking peas in early June or before. That allows you to get another crop such as late corn in there. 

My new garden bed will probably not have peas since I broadcast peas and they would not make a very good bumper crop in my estimation. Possibly some greens will be introduced. With a green house greens could definitely thrive in the cool weather while it is still cold and then corn could be started in early April. Last year I watched corn go from 16 inches or so to 6-8 feet in one month in a greenhouse. Some stalks went as high as 12 feet in the end and I could simply not control them. 

With a deeper bed now it will allow me to dig a trench and hill the corn up. I'm even thinking of a rotating green house or just one where I remove the cover in mid May. Although I do have an urge to buy some Dill Atlantic Giant Pumpkin seeds and see if I can grow a huge one!  So having a cover in place may prove handy. Also I want rapid growth. 

Key to pumpkins in the NE is a green house. Trust me cheat mother nature and get some decent ones. If you wait until the gardening books or seed packets tell you to start them you will have pumpkins trying to start in August as the rain comes in. In other words you will have rot. So start them in a green house and let them grow out of it or they will reach the end by the time the weather warms. Remember light is a factor. You can only cheat so much. Unless you add artificial light to increase the day light hours the pumpkin can only grow so much in early April. 

Bottom line is I expect the best corn I've ever planted if I can remain conservative and space them appropriately. 8 inches apart and 4-5 feet between rows. Oh to have the space to really garden...

No comments: