Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Hurricane Sandy caused more harm than people think

Take the timing of the event. Yes I say event. It was right before Halloween. Halloween will seem trivial to anyone who sees this post unless you consider some people make their living off of the holiday. 

There are people who operate haunted attractions who rely on making in some cases the majority of their income in 1 month. Some of these places are not for profit charities. Still others sell Halloween merchandise such as myself and this is the second straight year a storm has hit right before Halloween. Last year a snow storm hit my area. Hurricane Sandy was a little slower to develop and certainly was advertised more. 

Think about that for a second. Weeks before Hurricane Sandy had hit us the weatherman was preaching his doom and gloom report. Now consider a few other things such as the area affected or speculated?  The entire eastern seaboard. I ship Halloween merchandise from the east coast. With an approaching storm people described as an almost apocalyptic event the last thing on people's minds was Halloween. Subsequently my sales were hampered in the days leading up to Hurricane Sandy's impact.

The hurricane moved out in time for my own home haunt but the damage in lack of sales did damage to my finances. I'm not saying my home is under water or was but damage is damage. Not all damage is structural. 

We did get a lot of rain and wind. Lot of my props were destroyed. My corn husks all fell down or got soggy. Still I picked up the pieces and got things set again and celebrated my 25th home haunt. Not exactly the turnout I wanted but quite a few people came. People enjoyed my haunt and they told me often. I didn't have any money so I had to be inventive. I was and this Halloween was perhaps a little more spiritual than the past ones. It wasn't because of the hurricane but rather I reflected more on the harvest as modest as it was all the pumpkins I grew myself as well as the corn. It was a lot of hard work. To me that is what Halloween is about, it's about living off the land. 

Still though I don't live on a farm so hurricane sandy hit me hard in the end and hurt already diminished sales do to a year which featured a lot of backdoor cold fronts as people in my industry stabbed me in the back. People who lost their homes to sandy are going to be helped out. People will raise gazillions for them but they aren't the only ones who have suffered. A lot of Americans have suffered and no one will ever care enough about them because it's not the kind of fashionable suffering that appeals to them. These days the only people who get sympathy are those who have their suffering broadcast by the mass media to push agendas. The idea is to push dependency. Those freak storms are anything but coincidental. If you can't be pigeon holed then you might as well have been the tree that fell in the middle of no where. 

No comments: