Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I may try a corpse head the way others do it

Now over on the left there is an aged skull I did a few years back. Those Bucky skulls were some of the best 4th quality ones I've seen.

Now all I did was stain it several times with 1 color and poly. The eyeballs were loose. I left the jaw on the spring and the calvarium cut was not glued.

Now take a good hard long look and you wont see much difference between that aged skull and the corpse heads people are selling with horse eyes for $80.

Let's look at the main differences and discuss what makes those skulls so much better.

Some of those $80 corpse skulls are 4th quality. So the calvarium cut was either glued and concealed or glued in the process of concealing with various things. I'm not exactly sure what they used but it could have just been some kind of adhesive that wouldn't create or leave a ring around the skull. Cotton balls or some sort of fabric could have easily been deployed. It's hard to say for sure what they used since I'd really have to hold one.

The next difference is the hardware is all removed and the jaw is set in place. Now it could have been glued(very weak and would eventually fall off even with liquid nails) . Or it could have been nailed or screwed on. Any method used would require concealment.

A carousel eye was used which is maybe $5-$10 tops.


Artificial skin was created either with liquid latex alone in layers and or liquid latex and a knee high stocking stretched over the skull, cut up and manipulated to look as if only a little skin was left on the corpse.

I admit when I make my own brand of Corpse Heads I perform a lot of concealing. I'm not exactly sure how little I would have to do to duplicate the recipe mentioned above but not much at all.

It takes me a few days to totally complete one from start to finish at a leisurely pace. On a sunny summer day and or with the aid of a heatgun/hair dryer I could probably complete one from start to finish "fresco" in 20-30 minutes.

To employ the minimal effort method I could probably complete one in 5-10 minutes with the aid of sun or heat to dry the latex.

It's not that I am bragging about my Corpse Heads or Corpse Skulls it's just I know my limitations and know they're few. My hands and evil mind are exceptional. What's more is I don't create necessarily for a living. I create because the process satisfies my carnal urges. Halloween is October 31st but Horror is 365 in my life.

No comments: