Monday, December 28, 2009

Dream Microphone Telefunken U-48

I think this one on paper sounds like the microphone for me. When I read the list of those who used the Neumann U-48 or even the U-47 I remember the songs and the immediate warm sound of the vocals. I'm not talking necessarily about how great the room they recorded in sounded but rather the coloring or spice that was added to the mix.

Tubes rule if anyone thinks they don't they're not very human. Yeah tubes wear out but the warmth and musicality they lend to the capturing of a performance are unparalleled.

When you listen to a song that used a classic tube microphone for the lead vocals you are hearing the microphone there can be no question of this. I'm speaking of pop music that tends to record vocals up close and personal.

everything I've read had great things to say about the Telefunken line in general. Why the figure 8 one though and not the cardioid one? Well the figure 8 is a little more versatile for capturing just a little bit of room noise or for creating a nice slap back effect if you set the microphone up next to a wall or reflective surface. Yes I follow no rules.

Oh I'm sure there are numerous other microphones out there I'd like better than my Blue Bluebird. I'll find something good in everything. I just seek something great. There are many other more affordable U-47 type remakes but to hell with that, this is my dream, 'member?

What would I even do with a U-48 Telefunken? Besides replacing my rubber ducky Saturday night? oh...I'm not one of those squeaky clean people....I like things a bit smoky....A U-48 would be used to record my Classical guitar that I tend to strum with my index finger and thumb during heavier passages and pluck with my finger nails during delicate passages. Mostly I enjoy rhythm movements that resemble or come across as a machine of sorts. Most of the compression I employ is with my fingers. Nylon strings do hip around a bit but that's okay. I tune down and there can be some buzzing that's okay...tone...if you want totally clean I hear Chinamart has some neat Casio keyboards on sale.

Then being one to go against the rules I like my vocals recorded with my guitar. You see the guitar can fade into the back ground a bit. I'll position it just right for balance but I really can record with 1 microphone and see absolutely nothing wrong with that. When I sit under a tree in the middle of Summer playing my guitar and singing I don't think hmmm why don't I play the guitar, stop, sing,and that way....You see it's unnatural to leave a singing guitarist without his acoustic instrument.

So the vocals need to have a large warm classic character. If they don't i'm going to overdub them again and sound like the Carpenter Beatles...err ants...Adam? There's nothing wrong with nakedness. Sometimes the less going on the better. Please say no to plaid.

So if I had $8500, the Telefunken would be the Microphone I'd choose. So what if it has too much retro cool vibe going on....what's wrong with that? I do cringe when I see some of the people who can afford one....What do they do with it? Sing about love? Blahhhh

No comments: