Thursday, July 5, 2012

1978 Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Black), Ash Body, Maple Neck 9.5 lbs

You're viewing a 1978 Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar. Finished in black, this ash body Stratocaster rivals some Les Paul's in weight. Complimenting the tone machine body is a nice Maple fretboard with dot inlay. It appears most of the original parts are included save for the bridge pickup which had been upgraded to a Dimarzio single coil, the original Tremolo arm is missing along with the original case. However I have a brand new replacement arm and SKB/FENDER case on order to complete this outfit. Those items will arrive on Friday, the 6th of July. This item as a result will not ship sooner than Monday the 9th of July. This guitar is very old and has been played a lot from what I can tell. There is fret wear(which is natural), cosmetic wear to the body including belt marks and other dings, dents and scratches. It's 34 years old, this is to be expected. One of the tone knobs is worn so it tends to spin around the post of the potentiometer if engaged quickly. All the pickups work and they are quite hot. I generally play a Fender '52 Telecaster RI with a Twisted Tele on the neck and a Broadcaster PUP on the bridge and it's not nearly as hot as the pickups in this 1978 Stratocaster. I have another guitar I'll be listing, a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Special 1955 RI with P-90 pickups and those are not as hot as the PUPS in this '78 Strat. The action feels low to me. I felt as those I was right there. My Telecaster might prejudice my thinking because it is a U or boatneck. This '78 Strat's neck feels wide but not deep. It felt very fast and I suspect the former owner shredded. Set up is  of personal taste though so that is up to the winner of this auction. All guitars really need new setups to perform their best and play with the player so that is my way of saying you might need to adjust things a bit to suit your style. Very loud and aggressive. I just replaced the strings with D'addario XL 10's. I've tried to add the most accurate, detailed photos I possibly can but Ebay probably reduces their size. I'll have a slide show below this text as well. You should be able to click on the slideshow pics and see more detail. If not or Ebay's display images are too distant I can send the larger files to you. They're 300 dpi, 3000x whatever the shortest size is. There should be details of all the inner workings, fretboard, frets, etc. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. To answer one I am not the original owner and do not know anything about the history of this instrument. I can say this much though, this aint no Highway 1 Stratocaster. This is completely USA made and probably designed for hardrock and heavy metal. Pickups can of course be replaced but as it is right now this is a lead guitarist's weapon not a background strummer's. It's got some wear but the only guitars without wear are the kind no one felt the need to play.  

No comments: