Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What really sucks about this hot and humid day

It's not the temperature rising and becoming very uncomfortable as I type in an attic dormer. It's not the blood suck mosquitoes draining me dry. It's not even the high grass pollen count making it difficult to breathe as my nose runs and i have to keep blowing it. It's none of these things.

What sucks about today is not having enough funds to do the things i want to do.

I'd like to be roto-tilling a new garden bed 30x12 as I await deliveries of a top soil/cow or horse manure blend(27 cu yards)and some cedar boards with corners and connectors to create a rise of 2 feet.Call it 3 days of delivery for the soil mix.

Yes I'm willing to wheel barrow 27 cu yards of top soil from one end of the yard to the other some 150 feet or more away. This spring it took 7 hours to move 8 cu yards less than half that distance. Crazy?  Nope, I just like to get things done and like being productive. Could i work as a landscaper for someone else?  Absolutely not no matter how much they paid me.

Would it cost a lot?  Yes and no because it would be a decent investment since there is really no soil in that portion of the yard and the corn would look spectacular all up high like that.

Of course I would probably install a greenhouse over the top to ensure the corns looked spectacular. Green house, even in the summer?  Oh yeah because it's the long term effect and ability to extend the season quite a ways, especially if it was Solexx.

What's the point though?  Besides entertainment watching me kill myself?  It's called being an inspiration to others to create a victory garden of their own.

Although every single one of my previous calls for funding projects have failed, why not attempt another one?
I'm not sure what sort of rewards I could offer. It's not a charity. Although food will be produced the basic idea is demonstrate how one can feed themselves and or their family. It's not a project to feed the homeless. The entire project would lose it's spirit if it were otherwise. Possibly sponsorship but that's hardly to be counted on. Just the same I'm not your regular guy. I've moved a lot of soil into my yard before. 24 cu yards to be precise. As a result  my main bed is doing quite well now that I enclosed it in a raised rock bed. My corn is as high as 6 feet. I expect possibly 7 feet by morning. It is hot and steamy in that green house and I'm going to water all day long.

Unlike the current "victory garden" show my victory garden is much more ambitious and impressive. Takes a long time to turn regular soil into brown gold but I am trying. Really though there are very few people who would even attempt some of the projects I have attempted. Some people probably couldn't even watch me it was such a chore. Now that I think about it, it would probably take 5 days to move that much soil with  rest days in between. I am certainly the one for such an exhibition though.


No comments: