Friday, June 8, 2012

Need some new toys

Could definitely use some new toys but the cash doesn't seem to be flowing as of yet.

Last night I decided to try a new tuning on my Telecaster. The Nashville Tuning I thing it's called. You tune up an octave. It certainly cuts out the flub. Not sure if 10's are the way to go i'd like to try some 9's and decide which is better. I was a little afraid of the nut snapping, just a little. I wasn't worried about the neck though. I've got a 50's boat neck that suits my big hands fine. It's a brand new workout as well especially for the pinkie finger. However while playing to the radio and just jamming I noticed more headroom despite using the same settings and the guitar stayed in tune better and it sounded a whole lot more like certain classic rock numbers. Strings were definitely not slinky. I use D'addario anyway. It forces you to dig in more in the trenches. That's going to take time. Lots of milk and lots of practice.

I was so excited about the new sound I thought of toys to add to my rig. Definitely high on the list is a Wah Wah, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. Wah Wah's are tone machines. They allow you to dial in just the right tone to cut through the mix and blend better with bass and drums.

Next up is a Fulltone Deja Vibe for some cool psychedelic modulation. I have vibe on my amp but the pedal is more versatile. This would be more of a luxury. The vibe on my amp is tube driven and very nice. It's Link Wray!

My current pedals are falling all over the place so i really need to buy or make a pedalboard. Along with a board I need some longer cables and better ones. Like to see if Fulltone cables are what they claim to be.

Always need strings. I love strings. Such a cheap thing can bring so much joy.

Lemme see what else. I was trying to look for an affordable(along the lines of a Fender Blues Jr.) bass amp but could find none. Then I started looking into direct boxes. Wide range of prices. One option I haven't tried is my Golden Age Mic Pre. It might be the ticket with a few plug ins.

Need a few honking devices so a bunch of harmonicas will come in handy.

Tried kickstarter, indiegoogo but no go. I'm afraid the $700 or so mentioned above is going to have to be earned. Halloween sales are dead. Interest is picking up though.


No comments: